"Teach us to use wisely all the time we have." Psalm 90:12 [CEV]

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve 2011

"We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!  But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love."  1 Corinthians 13:12-13  The Message

2011 is rapidly drawing to a close - a new year will soon be here.

I, probably like many people, like to use this time to pause and reflect a little on what has gone before, whilst also giving consideration to what might lay ahead in the year that is to come.

Over the years I have used a variety of approaches and environments to provide me with the space and stimulation to assist me in my annual review. Sometimes I've sat and journalled in a favourite park or cafe. Other times I've wandered through a cemetery (always pretty quiet there!).

This year I'm hoping to do things a little differently and will involve my immediate family - up close and personal. This evening we will reflect honestly and openly around the meal table. It will be interesting to see what emerges as we eat and share and listen together. We'll then watch a movie together and we might even break out a few sparklers to light up our night as the evening progresses.

The questions I've written on our kitchen blackboard to guide our discussion are;

*What's one word that best describes what 2011 has been like for you?

*What's been a specific highlight for you this year?

*What have you found most challenging about the year?

*Name something you've done for the first time in 2011.

After we've thrown these questions around for a while, we'll then consider one final question (which I see as a prayer request) looking forward into the new year;

*What is one thing you're hoping for in 2012?

I really enjoy our round-table family discussions. Tonight I'm believing God for an enriching time together...might even hear his still small voice somewhere in the mix - I'd welcome that!

May the God of all seasons inform your 2011 reflections. May He also enable you to become someone who will trust steadily, hope unswervingly and love extravagently in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment