"Teach us to use wisely all the time we have." Psalm 90:12 [CEV]

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

the next chapter


“The stages of life require me to change my approach to ministry but not why I do ministry.”

Gary Fenton, Your Ministry’s Next Chapter


I’ve just recently entered a new chapter of Christian ministry - still serving within the same Missions Organisation (Campus Crusade for Christ Aust), but in a rather different role from where I’ve been involved for the past ten years or so. 

The page has definitely turned for me following a relatively steady season of transition, handover, closure and commissioning. I’m thankful for the opportunity of serving God in a different environment with all the associated responsibilities and demands, but also with people whom I already know (and who know me), to some extent. Whilst I will say that there’s a lot for me to get my head around and much more to learn, I know that I’m where God wants me to be and that I’m up for this new challenge.

The Webster online dictionary defines chapter as;

“a series of related events forming an episode; any distinct period in history or in a person's life.”

Businessdictionary.com defines chapter this way;

“main division of a book or text. As a unit, a chapter is complete in itself but is intimately tied to the other chapters through the theme or plot of the work.”

I can definitely relate to these definitions, especially at this time of new beginnings. 

As I reflect on where the bookmark is currently placed in my story (ie just a few pages into the commencement of a new chapter), I can already observe that there are some things I’m discovering that seem rather familiar and that resonate with some of the earlier chapters in my story – there is a consistency of characters, themes and storyline over time.

As a person of faith, I also find it reassuring to know that I’m not the author of this new chapter, nor the story of my life (I must admit there have been times when I’ve wanted to write at least a few pages myself!). 

Rather, it is God Who has written (is writing?) my story. He is in charge of the main narrative. He alone knows what specific characters, themes, twists and turns are featured in the pages and later chapters that are to follow.

I’m thinking I’m in for a pretty good read.


“The LORD says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.  I will advise you and watch over you.”         Psalm 32:8

No comments:

Post a Comment